Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Glares

This morning I met a friend for donuts (something I'll blog about later!) with our kids. Ethan was being very difficult, so much so that I ended up needing to take him outside for a few minutes. When we came back in Ethan starting screaming a little and there were these 2 older women GLARING at me. I wanted so bad to look at them and ask if they could remember what this was like. I was trying to control my child, but they were making it even worse. I already feel like I'm a monster of a mom, then they are making me feel like I should correct him even more than I am. Having 2 kids going through the "Terrible Twos" at the same time is really difficult at times! Other times it's very rewarding....okay, mostly difficult but I'm trying to find the positive right now! :)

On the other hand, last week a similar thing happened with Ethan at Starbucks in Upland. (There seems to be a pattern with Ethan.) We were on our way to pick-up Sam in Toledo and I stopped there to go to the bathroom and let the kids get out of the car for a few minutes. Apparently it was the same day the freshman were starting at Taylor. So, instead of glares I got this from the 2 women sitting next to us - "It's okay, we've all been there. Try to enjoy it, before you know it you'll be dropping them off at college."

I guess it's all about perspective. The women today probably aren't use to being around little ones, nor do they want to be. The women last week yearn for the day they were changing diapers now that they are saying their goodbyes.

Okay, so now I'm crying at the thought of them leaving...yet I want a break from them right now. Is this what being a mom is all about???? :)

3 comments:

Traci said...

I loved this post! So true. I won't even begin to talk about the night I just had with Jonah...

Organized Chaos said...

Sorry if I missed the real point of this post...I'm still stuck on the fact that you said they have a Starbucks in Upland! WHAT? Wow, I haven't been back in awhile.

paula said...

You are a great mom, Molly! It was SO good to see you this weekend!